RE: A call to action

> My plan (once I have time) is to create an arm of the Eazel web
> site devoted
> to discussing usability issues in GNOME applications.  We plan on not only
> user testing our own software, but others as well, and
> volunteering as much
> help as needed in order to help get GNOME apps into good shape.

Sounds good!  You see, my aim in starting this thread was to prevent a
repeat of the frustration of us discussing file dialogs until our fingers
were sore (they're better now, thanks) and having it implemented in a
different way by other people.  That occurence was entirely the fault of
this list for not communicating with others.  I hope your plan, Arlo, will
prevent these sorts of things from happening in the future.  But most
importantly, where would the gnome-gui list fit in?

> I really feel the UI guidelines doc should get a very high priority and
> should be placed very prominantly for application developers to use.  I
> would not wait until it is done.  Sketch out the outline, then start
> working on the most basic parts so that developers can start using it
> ASAP.

Oh, yeah!

> > But we don't have anything to show for it.  The mailing list has high
> > turnover, nothing from the hitsquad has been integrated, and eazel has
> > dramatically changed the decision-making structure of the GNOME
> community.
>
> I could be wrong here, but I think targetting programs after they are done
> is the wrong approach.  I think you want to reach the developer early on
> and say "Here, read this guideline and it will help you make a great
> program.  If you have any questions or would like us to work with you on
> your application then we'd be happy to.", instead of coming to them after
> they are done saying "You did it all wrong and we made a nice big list of
> all your mistakes you need to fix".

Of course we should have got them eariler on in the game, but it's too late
now to say "should have."  I'm not even sure this list was here when
everything was being designed for the first time.

> In case you can't tell, I really like the idea of GNOME projects being
> services for developers.  Go to the GDP and have them write your docs.
> Go the the GSP and have them make some nice sounds for events.  Go the the
> GGP and have an icon, logo, and a nice graphic for your About
> dialog made.
> Go the the GUIP and get the UI Guide and some expert help on UI design.
> Geez - with all these resources, even a lousy hacker can make a great app.

haha-I never though of it that way.  That's neat.

I'm glad things turned out alright.

Gerry