Re: A call to action

Richard Tibbetts wrote:

> The solution to this problem, it seems to me, lies in producing a
> document similar to the Apple Human Interface Guidelines. This will be
> a significant document which covers 99% of UI design decisions, and in
> each and every case gives an unambiguous GNOME solution to the
> problem. Whether this is written by committee or by star chamber or
> any other method doesn't really matter. It has to not suck in any
> clear way, and once it is done it has to be followed and enforced.
> Once you have that, it becomes possible to say that (1) all developers
> of official GNOME apps should follow the guidelines and (2) when the
> guidelines are ambiguous people should ask a specific body rather than
> just making somethin up.

Absolutely and it needs to be done as we speak!  The key point that
should be made regarding THE document is that a consensus of some sort
is achieved regarding UI design and documented in THE document.
Richard, I come from a QA background (and a Masters related to QA) AND
the perspective that I'd rather take a little more time at coming up
with excellent design rather than putting less than OK work.  As my Dad
used to say: think before doing!

I sure don't like to reinvent the wheel, but I'd sure like to improve it
to a tire!

Richard, are you still in with the group?  I'd hate to lose you if
you've got the experience.  Do the two guys you worked with have any
documentation left?  Where can I find the outline of the Apple Human
Interface so that we can start putting GNOME stuff in it?

For added comments about Mac interface, check out this site.  Rather
good comments and you'll find historical comments about how Xerox PARC
and Apple came to different UI designs.  Good stuff.

http://www.mackido.com/Interface/

Kevin
begin:vcard
n:Cullis;Kevin
tel;home:720-489-9283
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;8285 S Poplar Way #202;Englewood;CO;80112;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:kevincu orci com
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Kevin Cullis