Re: Beyond Nautilus 1.0

What Heikki seems to be suggesting is a Microsoft Explorer gone power-
hungry to do everything you could ever want in a simple file manager!
How many people actually need spectral analysis or even powerpoint
support in a file manager? Isn't that what waveform editors and slide
presentation programs are for? I thought file managers were supposed to
give you a simple, bloat-free, fast, and efficient way of accessing
your files?

What you appear to be suggesting is a mother-of-all-file-managers which
wants to be all things to all people. Let me tell you now that it's
never going to happen - not in Linux anyway, I hope! How useful are
spectral analyses to 99% of the file-browsing community anyway? Maybe
a hex-view would be useful as well - I know *lots* of people who can
read hex!

I may seem a little harsh in my reply and for good reason. Linux got
where it is today by modularising everything and resisting the one
size fits all approach. A Nautilus gone mad would be my last choice
for a file manager - even GMC or FileRunner would be more useful than
a file manager which tries to be more than what it is or ever should be.

I want XMMS to play my MP3 files inside an XMMS window I can control,
not a bloody file manager! The moment a bloated Nautilus is integrated
with Gnome I'll be switching to XFCE or KDE!

As for your other suggestions - sounds good.

Marc Fearby
Tamworth, NSW, Australia
e-mail: marc fearby com
ICQ: 13045454