Re: User interface suggestions

> Well, that's perhaps a rather simplistic view...

I know.. ;) It is more to the menubar/toolbar/keyboard shortcut discussion
than what I wrote!

An idea I played with some time ago, what if you do something like a Mac
with the menubar on top of the desktop. In addition you make a left bar
(or right bar) with icons as a toolbar. With more space you can do more
fancy things. (You get more space because you don't waste space in individual
windows.) In the application windows you add a left pane with a drag handle.
When you drag this open you get a tree-like view of all actions. From this
tree you can drag actions into the (left) toolbar or into the (desktop)
menubar. You should not only be able to drag individual actions but subtrees.
One branch could be named "File" (supprise!), others "Edit" and "View".

An application would initially look pretty much like today but if the
user needs to do something fifferent and/or often, like switching language
in Outlook (..) he/she could drag the "Language"-branch into the menu bar.

There are a lot of missing bit's and pieces here.. Like if you drag something
into the menubar but want to get rid of some items. An other extremly nice
feature from OpenLook is left-clicks on the menubar as an accelerator. I have
no obvious way to incorporate this as a user configurable item.

John