visual feedback on launching applications

hi

there has been some talk on the mailing lists in the last week on this topic
(see below), and I'd like to get involved in providing a more GNOME-specific
solution.

In brief, the idea is as follows:

- Create a Feedback server as an ORBit object, with an interface
  responsible for starting and stopping the display of visual feedback
- The server would support a plug-in interface for displaying different types of
  feedback e.g. a task-bar invisible window (as in Xalf) etc.
- On requesting server to start feedback display, client would register a unique
  id with the server. This id would be used when client requests server to stop
  feedback display.

The tricky part is where to make the calls to start and stop the feedback
display.
This mechanism would have to support launching of:
1. GNOME applications
2. non-GNOME applications
3  applications (GNOME and non-GNOME) launched 'indirectly', eg from a panel

Suggestion is:

1.  Gnome apps

    From gnome_init_*() :
    - make call to Feedback Server to start feedback.
    - register a GtkInitFunction that, when executed, will call
      the Feedback Server to end feedback.
      (This GtkInitFunction is executed during gtk_main()).

2.   Non-Gnome applications.

     - in order to make the call to the Feedback Server to start the feedback
       need to use a binary wrapper (I'll refer to it here as 'fbk' to avoid
       confusion with references to Xalf).
       The binary makes the call to start the feedback and then forks
       and starts the application

       							Feedback Server
       						       -------------------
       %fbk applic  ----call to start feedback------>  | FeedbackStart() |
       	   |					       |		 |
       	   |					       | FeedbackStop()	 |
       	   |					       -------------------
       	   |						           ^
       	   |					 	           |
       	   |					call to stop feedback
       	   |					^
       	   V					|
       	 fork and				|
       	start applic --------------->  applic running

       			 fbk exits

      - the call to stop the feedback could be made using LD_PRELOAD and
        an overloaded Xlib function and LD_PRELOAD (similar to what Xalf does).

3.    Applications launched from panel
	The gnome panel launches apps with a call to gnome_execute_async_*()
	in gnome-libs.  But, cannot assume that the app to be launched is a
	gnome application.  So would have to adapt solution no. 2 above, ie
	gnome_execute_*() could make a call to the fbk binary.
	However, if the app to be launched is a gnome app then there would be
	a second call to start the Feedback from gnome_init_().  So the
	Feedback Server would have to be able to handle such duplicate calls.

I am new to GNOME (BTW my name is Mary Dwyer and I work in Sun Microsystems in
Ireland) and I'd like to get feedback (excuse the pun) criticisms, suggestions
etc on this.I emailed Peter Astrand (author of the Xalf utility) at the end of
last week to get his views on the idea.  And the emails below would indicate
that people on these gnome aliases would be interested in this area?

thanks in advance
cheers
Mary