Re: New ideas

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 01:30:03AM -0400, Brooke and Nathaniel wrote:
> I find this article very intriguing.  The first half or so, about
> interface hardware, is a little silly, but the GUI portion of it,
> with the cobwebs and piles, is very interesting.
>
> I think the author's right in that instead of displaying lots of
> text, the UI should contain lots of "natural" visual cues that
> automatically tell you what you're looking at.  If designed and
> implemented properly, this could make GNOME a *real* winner.

I'm guessing this would be something along the lines of Nautilus
having plugins that take an icon and a bunch of file stats (does the
stat() system call return a structure or a value?) and draws various
overlays.. I notice Nautilus already has icon themes which can draw
things on icons - could this be a part of the icon-theming capability?

I guess this suggestion should be passed to the Nautilus mailing
list...

--