Re: Document Centricity in GNOME [LONG]

On Wed, 10 May 2000, David Tabachnikov (NetHunter) wrote:

> I don't think its a good idea to separate the code from the actuall
> data, since like Brian said, theres no way we could convince all the
> other application authors to do it that way. Besides, what will we do
> about the current applications? I think it should be like a filter in
> the actuall app that would strip the code. (An exaple: Mozilla could
> remove everything between <SCRIPT> and </SCRIPT>, and <APPLET> and
> <OBJECT>, this is something that could be made using a filter in
> Nautilus, or a view.

IOW, some apps can have register to an "Open Safely" action by running the
app with some standard switch. If we have such a switch supported by
gnome-popt, that would be even cooler, since I could run applications
safely from the command line. But, still, it seems the best approach -- to
have a seperate "Open Safely" action. Seperating "Run" from "Open" damages
document-centricity, while seperating "Open" from "Open Safely" enhances
document-centricity -- these are simply different methods of documents.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html