Re: Document Centricity in GNOME [LONG]

Moshe Zadka wrote:
> On Tue, 9 May 2000, Brian F. Kimball wrote:
> > So we can't expect software that lets us disable potentially harmful
> > features, but we can require that everyone design their file types in
> > such a way that the "code" is in a separate file?  Please explain how
> > you plan to get Microsoft, the rest of the software industry, and the
> > entire free software community to agree to this.
>
> Not to mention that it *damages usability*. I want to be able to embed
> guile-scripts within a Gnumeric document, which calculate something
> Gnumeric couldn't. Why shouldn't I?

I don't think its a good idea to separate the code from the actuall
data, since like Brian said, theres no way we could convince all the
other application authors to do it that way. Besides, what will we do
about the current applications? I think it should be like a filter in
the actuall app that would strip the code. (An exaple: Mozilla could
remove everything between <SCRIPT> and </SCRIPT>, and <APPLET> and
<OBJECT>, this is something that could be made using a filter in
Nautilus, or a view. Meaning that we don't have to modify the original
app.). Moshe, if you want to embed GUILE scripts in your Gnumeric doc,
you may do it freely, but the joe-luser your sending it to, will open it
safely, and all your scripts won't execute, then he will see its safe,
and not some ILOVEYOU type of thing, and will "Open" it not safely.

--
Best Regards,
	David Tabachnikov (NetHunter)