Re: scroll bar and drop down list usability

>Anyways, buttons are precious, so it's worth trying to see whether
>overloading middle mouse is useful. (It might be a useful configuration
>option too -- xterm compatibility or something.)

Gnome-terminal already overloads right button, so uses control key to force
menu if you have started a selection (IIRC). A bit weird setting, I would
prefer a "always hit this key for this, no key for that".

In conclusion, what I see is a collision of Windows / Mac / whatever with X
style. The select / paste is pure X, but does not match in new apps. On the
other hand is common among traditional apps, and is great.

Maybe the default should be MB1 to select (with Control forces copy,
otherwise just select, no dump to buffer), MB2 scroll (joystick or hand,
with Control pastes), MB3 menu (with control forces extend selection). So
normal tasks are done with the mouse alone (what normal user expect), X
style with Control key (what hardcore users expect), just requiring extra
key (normal users will like it too, I hope). Comments?

>> Meanwhile, a question for all those who want to gain empirical HCI
>> data: is it better for middle-click-paste to insert text at the mouse
>> position or where the text cursor is?
>text cursor.

I can not decide. In Emacs, it pastes where you click, in xterms where the
cursor is, I can live with both. I suppose text cursor, to be consistent.

GSR