Re: scroll bar and drop down list usability

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 10:24:07AM -0400, Ken Fox wrote:
> Ben FrantzDale wrote:
> > I've long thought that it'd be nice if my linux apps [scrolled] with
> > the middle mouse button. The problem, of course, is that middle
> > button==paste. Obviously some windows can't be pated into but for input
> > windows I suspect this could be avoided by canceling the paste action if the
> > mouse is pushed more than x amount.
>
> It's a shame that xterm popularized paste for the middle button. If we
> had pie menus (and gesture events) the right button could easily support
> both copy and paste. Anyways, IMHO it's better to follow C-C and C-V
> keyboard conventions and free up the middle mouse for scrolling
> operations.

But, but, but..! As Ben FrantzDale wrote up there, a middle *click*
can be distinguished from a middle *drag*. You can follow <modifier>-C
and <modifier>-V *and* middle-click for paste, *AND* have middle-drag
scrolling.

Meanwhile, a question for all those who want to gain empirical HCI
data: is it better for middle-click-paste to insert text at the mouse
position or where the text cursor is?

--