Re: scroll bar and drop down list usability

One of the interesting scroll bar ideas I've seen involves
putting what amounts to a bar graph into the scroll bar where the
height of the bar is proportional to the length of the line that would
be displayed.

With many text files you are editing, you know enough about the structure
that even this simple visual cue makes it very easy to figure out where
to scroll or click to.

I saw this almost 15 years ago being done by Mike Hawley and Sam Leffler:
why this idea hasn't been picked up in the meanwhile is a mystery to me.
			- Jim
--
Jim Gettys
Technology and Corporate Development