Re: Default config file names & locations

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 11:45:45AM -0500, Brandon Young wrote:
> I am a system administrator, and have been instructed to make the GNOME 1.2
> environment the default desktop for all our future linux installs (until
> they change their mind again).  But, there's more.  Not only do I need to
> make it gnome by default (which I know I can do), the default gnome session
> that starts for a new user must be cutomized.  What files are copied on
> startup of a new user, and where are they located?

On my box here (RedHat 6.0), the system-supplied user-adding scripts
create the user's home directory by duplicating the contents of
/etc/skel. Whatever OS you use may have a different system, but I'd
check for /etc/skel first.

I would suggest creating a dummy user first. Login as that user, and
customise the desktop to the way you want it to appear for every new
user.

Then copy the dummy user's entire home directory to /etc/skel
(remembering to chown the files to root.root) and that should do it.

If your system doesn't have an etc/skel system, you might want to make
a tarball of the dummy user's homedir and write your own little script
to untar it in every new user's homedir, along with the requisite
chowning.

--