Default config file names & locations

I am a system administrator, and have been instructed to make the GNOME 1.2
environment the default desktop for all our future linux installs (until
they change their mind again).  But, there's more.  Not only do I need to
make it gnome by default (which I know I can do), the default gnome session
that starts for a new user must be cutomized.  What files are copied on
startup of a new user, and where are they located?

Brandon Young
System Administrator
ITTC, University of Kansas
bkyoung@ittc.ukans.edu