Re: Default Button/mouse suggestion

Karl Eichwalder wrote:

> "Ben FrantzDale" <frantb@rpi.edu> writes:
>
> > Here's a suggestion: On dialog boxes you can hit enter to get the default
> > button. I've been thinking that it would be nice if the mouse cursor ended
> > up on top of that same button so that if you were using just the mouse you
> > could have the same convienence as with the keybord.
>
> In general, this seems to be a WM issue.  sawfish has some "Warp the
> mouse pointer" settings.
>
> Your proposal might work for Yes/No like dialogs.  In dialogs with some
> more settings it's more appropriate to move the pointer to the upper
> left corner or something.
>
> Hopyfully, it's possible to remember the "previous" mouse pointer
> position and to restore after close the dialog.

The one bad thing about uncontrolled moving of the mouse pointer is that the
user
thinks the mouse is in a different place that what it really is.  It is also an
annoyance if
you got a small mouse pad, and you have to lift up the mouse and reposition it
every
time you get a dialog.

Maybe a better solution is to bring the default button to the mouse cursor,
that way
you don't play with the users mind.  And then just have boundary checking to
make
sure menu isn't off the screen.

Andrew Hill