Re: GNOME panel has disappeared ...

On ven, 28 jui 2000 05:53:55 murtuza lokhandwalla wrote:
> So how did you fix this  ? (I guess increasing the disk
space worked).

Right. I got tired of cleaning up my netcape message box
and
refilling my panels every few feeks, so I did a major
clean-up, moved some stuff to other partitions and since
then had
no problem.

However it'd be really nice if the various unix
applications
using this kind of mechanism would check if they have the
place to write the new configuration before erasing the old
one.  Moving stuff around without breaking anyting to make
disk
space is not really what you'd expect a newbie to do
cleanly.

> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >         Since we're talking about this, I'll describe a
> > similar problem I used to encounter.
> >
> >         I've been running Linux for a few months on an
> > almost-full HD. Each time the last available bits were
written,
> > Netscape would lose rack of its mail history, and the
Gnome
> > panels would disappear. I think the disk usage
prevented
saving
> > of the panel state : the Gnome panel was still here,
but
was
> > absolutely empty. In case you wonder, empty arrowless
panels
> > are one or two pixel wide, with a 15-20 pixel length,
so
> > they're almost impossible to spot unless you know where
to look
> > for. And since empty is a valid state, it is saved so
> > restarting panel is useless.
> >
> >         So I do agree that's a Gnome GUI problem :
empty
> > arrowless panels should be made bigger, if you don't
want to see
> > them you shouldn't lanch them, but if lanched they
should be
> > easy to spot in all situations. I don't really see the
point

--
Nicolas