Re: Annoying Gnome Panel Appearance

thristian@atdot.org wrote:
> Have a low-res screen, do you?

I've got a Sony 17" monitor with a TNT2/32MB running at 1280x1024. Even
at this resolution the size of the panel is woefully bloated. The Gnome
people seem to be infatuated with gimmicky designs which can take as
much unecessary crap as they can fit into it. Sure enough, it's OK for
the wank value for a few hours, but in practical terms, it's just a
complete annoyance. The same goes for GMC, it would be nice to get rid
of those bulky buttons, but then again, given that GMC is so ugly, I'm
still using bash anyways. There's nothing "next generation" about it,
I'm afraid. As far as usability goes, I'm afraid Windows Explorer still
beats GMC hands down...

> Debian is, of course, easy to use, simple to upgrade, incredibly
> stable, and woefully out of date. Well, not *that* out of date. The
> most recent GNOME is 1.2. I don't know where .deb packages exist
> (though I suspect hunting on gnome.org might be fruitful) but I
> heartily recommend getting the Helix GNOME distro from helixcode.com -
> I believe now it comes in a Debian form, but it worked Just Great on
> my Redhat system.

Yes, I guess you've got a point. I'm usually most pissed off to find
out that I have to install the latest, bleeding edge, unstable
distribution just to get some normal functionality. If anyone knows
where I can get some Debian 2.2 *.deb's for Gnome 1.2, please let me
know so I can leave you guys alone :)

> And yes, among other Cool Features (like true alpha-channel blending
> on panel icons, and general Nifty Cool-Lookking stuff, it allows you
> to set each panel to 80, 64, 48 (normal), 36, or 24 pixels in width.

Well, I'm certainly not going to compile it myself. Last time I tried
that it was a complete and utter nightmare! I don't know about you
but compiling a behemoth isn't exactly a quick one-hour task...

Thanks

Marc Fearby