Annoying Gnome Panel Appearance

Hello,

I've been using Gnome for over six months know and have found it to be
OK, except for the size of the panel. I'd prefer it to be half the
height that it is to waste less screen real estate. I don't agree with
KDE's licence, but if Gnome's panel can't be configured then I'll just
have to overlook the QPL and install KDE, which does let you resize the
height of the panel. Even Winblows lets you adjust the panel's height!

I did try adding an "edge panel" which is the size I want, but as soon
as I add a menu button, it doubles in size.

I am running the latest Debian 2.2 "Potato" (latest apt update from
this morning) which has Gnome 1.0.55 installed, which would appear to
be the latest stable build?

If anyone knows how I can get my panel to look normal, I'd love to hear
from you!

Thanks

Marc Fearby