toolbars

Can someone please explain something for me?  I look at the toolbars in
GNOME and they drive me crazy.  They take up way too much space.  If you
compare spacing with Windows, it is really bad.  I use GNOME exclusively on
my laptop.  I have limited screen space.  Every app uses way too much for
toolbars that I like to have.  I have made an image comparing Word against
Abiword to demonstrate this.  It can be found at
http://www.erick.com/gtb.png   Is there a reason for this?  Is it just a
theme issue?  I have tried other themes and that doesn't seem to make a
difference, but I have not looked at them as closely.

Thanks!

Erick