Re: Zooming dock

delmar watkins wrote:

> To me, if the dock were to be implemented in gnome, it should have:
> 1) keep the gnome menu, with its standard menus, etc. (no reason to get rid of
> this)
> 2) drawers so that you can group TYPES of shortcuts instead of having them
> make the dock too big.  And oh yeah, WindowMaker -style icons.

This is a good idea, like grouping all your images under one drawer, or
all your web links under another. One problem that needs to be solved,
is sometimes you want open a document with different programs. Maybe
after selecting a document a popup menu will come up immediately with
what application you wish to use, making the selection very quick.

Also another feature I think should be implemented, and this applies to
all of Gnome, when opening a document you should be able to use an
existing application instead of opening a new application every time.
Maybe this will be handled when all Gnome applications go to using
CORBA, I haven't checked though.

> 3) a trash can that WORKS
> 4) the ability to have resizable gnome applets

Visually, I'm not sure how well this will go with a zooming dock. I
wouldn't want to stop anyone though, if they really wanted applets on
their dock.

> 5) The ability to tack on folders of the file system, and be able to a) view
> files in and b) drag and drop files into the folders, like the mac tabbed
> folder/window view

I don't think I've seen that feature of the mac, would that be like
drawer that represents a directory on the disk?

> 6) open applications WITH the list of their associated windows.... so that if
> I click (right click?  double click?) on a running application, I see all of
> the windows it has, and can select them/ go to them.
> 7) a way to have indiviual control panels (like the sound control, etc) on the
> dock.

I think this is the same as 4.

Mark