From:  delmar watkins
Sent:  Monday, December 11, 2000 12:08 PM
Cc:  gnome-gui-list gnome org
Subject:  Re: Zooming dock

<<File: smime.p7s>>The zooming dock is really cool because it allows Fitt's
law to be used,
while also keeping the dock relatively small.

The 'Desk Guide' thing is really not that great of an example of the dock:
the dock is more like the WindowMaker dock or the Enlightenment Iconbox.

The cool thing about the Enlightenment Iconbox is that it can take a
snapshot
of your window as an icon, but the problem is if you have 3 terminals open,
it is hard to distinguish between them, which actually LESSENS their
impact.
WindowMaker has the good idea of putting a little title bar on each
iconized
window, which (when coupled with the naming of gnome terms that was
discussed
a week or so ago) would make the Enlightenment iconbox SOOOO easy to use.

Also, maybe having a little standard icon/watermark for the app in one of
the
corners would help (a little netscape 'stamp' or 'watermark' in one corner
of
every netscape icon??)

Personally, I think that a gnome iconbox, a la the Enlightenment iconbox
but
better, would greatly help the GUI.  espectially if you added features that
the gnome toolbar/MacOS Dock have, like allowing groups of
aliases/shortcuts
(like 'drawers' of shortcvuts), shortcuts to folders that you could drag
and
drop into, gnome applets, etc. etc. etc.  There are a lot of things that
can
be done with the dock that I think apple is going to do...

(OFF TOPIC, KINDA)  I realized this weekend that the dock is actually a
pretty slick implementation of a lot of the mac ideas.  It basically
synthesizes the finder menu in the mac's upper right, the apple menu of the
upper left, the desktop icons, and the tabbed finder menus (if you haven't
seen these, then don't ever use a mac, 'cause as soon as you see them, you
will not want to use linux again....).  The dock is a way to keep all of
this
stuff in ONE cool interface, and follow a lot of the user interface
suggestions that people have had:  make it all consistent, follow fitts'
law,
etc.

The thing is, I think it would be pretty easy for gnome to follow suit.
 The
new GUI for MacOSX is actually pretty darn sweet, and even if we had the
FUNCTIONALITY without the 'genie effect' wiz-bang, we would still be ahead
of
the game.