Re: Article in PC Magazine relating to OS UIs

Yes, this is a window manager issue, but in a sense it is also an issue that
should be addressed.

There is a window manager out there that does a very cool thing:  depending on
the focus, the main window will jump to 23 of the screen (or user-defined),
while the other windows will tile or stack (user preference) on teh right, so
that instead of having to iconify your apps, they are simply on teh left for
easy reference and viewing.

The window manager is larswm (http://www.fnurt.net/larswm/)

The thing is, larswm is not as feature-rich as other WMs (say, sawfish), but its
one awesome feature is that the winodwing is intelligent.  In a lot of ways,
while Lars himself did an INCREDIBLY good job, but  already-existing
technologies could have been used to make intelligent window management.

Sawfish, for instance, has a backend that allows event-driven intelligent
scripting of windows.   What if there were scripts that allowed for the
behaviour above (intelligent tiling) or ones that emulateed the Mac interface,
or even the proto MacOSX idea of having only one app on teh screen at once, and
everything else gets automagically iconized?? Apparently this is very easy to
do.... but I have of yet to get it to work (I spoke a while ago with the
creators of the Sawfish scripting backend and even he couldn't help me get my
machine to work correctly (I will admit, it was prolly 80% user error ;-)

At any rate, the point is that if someone were to make a good GUI frontend for
making the scripting very easy, or even give a simple GUI way of choosing
behaviours of windows, then things like the PC magazine article would nto exist
(or at least we would keep making the GUI better and better).  What if you could
tell the computer how you wanted it to react?

If anyone would like to help start this project, I would love to help, if I can
ever get Sawfish's scripting to work correctly <aarrrgghh>