RE: Copy-Paste between filemanager and document editor

> I'm with you on this.  There needs to be a default behavior for all
> files regardless of type.  Personally, I like the file to copy by
> default.  This may create some mess but it does guaranty that you don't
> end up moving any files that are vital.  Moving could be accomplished by
> right clicking and drag, or pressing a key (ctrl, alt).

I've thought about copy or move again, and I think the default action should
be to move files. Why? Because drag around whatever else you want and it
will be moved. Text in a text editor, data in a spreadsheet. Even windows
will be moved, not copied (though we don't call this "drag & drop").

Drag & Drop means "pick something up and put it somewhere else". Picking up
something in the real world will *never* create a copy. Dragging something
on the computer will not create a copy in most cases. Why should files be
different?

Besides, moving also creates another way to cancel a drag & drop operation.
If you see that you're moving the file [*], you can be sure that dropping it
back into the source folder won't change anything. If you see the (wrong)
file being copied, a you (as a novice user) will have more difficulties.
"Ooops, now I got a copy under my mouse, what should I do about it?".

[*] this has to be visualized by moving the file with your cursor while
leaving a blank space (or a faded out file) at the original location!

If you're afraid of destroying things that way, protect vital files. Hide
them from the user, register them somewhere and display a warning or
whatever.

Jörg