Re: Copy-Paste between filemanager and document editor

> Jorg Rathlev wrote:
> > Besides, Windows became even more unpredictable with Windows 2000 (compared
> > to Win 9x, I don't know about NT 4): Dragging .exe files will usually
> > move/copy them like any other file. If I try and go into the MS Office
> > folder and drag excel.exe, it's going to create a shortcut. Dragging
> > finder.exe (which is in the same folder!) works like any other file.
> > Winword.exe again creates a shortcut. Might be based on registry entries or
> > whatever - I have no clue. This *really* sucks.
>
> This has me laughing.  Why?  Because MS *removed* some of the
> unpredictability by making EXEs be handled like any other file.  Suddenly,
> to those who grew up with the 5 or 8 different behaviours depending on mime
> type, time of day, phase of moon, etc, explorer drag actions, it seems
> "un-intuitive" ..
>
> This alone should help convince any fence sitters out that their ONE AND
> ONLY ONE operation should be the default REGARDLESS OF ANYTHING ELSE so that
> we can maintain some kind of consistency.

I'm with you on this.  There needs to be a default behavior for all
files regardless of type.  Personally, I like the file to copy by
default.  This may create some mess but it does guaranty that you don't
end up moving any files that are vital.  Moving could be accomplished by
right clicking and drag, or pressing a key (ctrl, alt).

MS stuffed up completely having different files drag different ways and
I don't think gnome needs to take the same track 8-]

Rodd