> Italy
> Netherlands
> Norway
> Spain
> Sweden
> Switzerland
> UK
> US

Where did you take a look at them? Ok, maybe you've seen the actual
keyboards, but what I am looking for is a web site that shows the layouts of
all major keyboard layouts. If you have a link, could you please send it to
me or the gnome-gui-list?

> The reason is documentation and portability. I don't have to know what
> keyboard layout you use and you don't have to know mine, as long as we
> agree on a keyboard shortcut that makes sense on most layouts and that
> we can both easily type.

> If you still have to swap layouts, you still have to learn to type on
> that other layout. Having to learn how to access your favorite key combo
> is no different than having to learn where all the other keys are.

Yes. The same character does the same thing, on any layout. Pressing A will
always type an a, no matter where the A key is located. Pressing Shift+A
will always result in an uppercase A, no matter where the keys are. Why
should Ctrl+A be different?

Of course, if you have a completely different keyboard, e.g. with a
different character set, you'll have to change the shortcuts.

Jörg