Re: file dialogs as example

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Shutko" <ats@acm.org>

> "Michael T. Babcock" <mbabcock@fibrespeed.net> writes:
>
> > Quick note:  some systems have been entirely redesigned around the
concept
> > of not having open and save-as dialogs at all, but entirely using
> > drag'n'drop.  This is mouse-centric, but often becomes a very fast and
> > useful paradigm.
>
> The problem with drag and drop is that it assumes you can see both the
> source and destination.  On my busy desktops, I usually have to do
> serious maneuvering to use drag and drop when I'm in an app.

Very true -- under Windows, mind you, dragging over the task bar lets you
'drill' to a given window that's minimised or hidden.

> It would be a lot better, actually, if we had the MacOS 8 type of
> drilling, where if you held a drop item over a directory, the
> directory would open up in that window, and you could drill to your
> destination.

Agreed -- lets do it :-).

> > Incidentally, if I use Windows, I create new files using the
> > Context->New->Word File (or whatever)
>
> I've never used that, since I find it fairly awkward to navigate that
> menu after umpteen billion things have populated it, but maybe it
> would get easier with practice.

It would be very nice if it had an MRU list at the top level of 'New' and an
'Other' sub-list ...
... that said, I'd love to have a "New / Open Document" application (as I
described last year -- search archives) that let me click "new file" in a
file manager window and it would ask me what kind of file to create, with a
quick extension-only option, and a wizard option "Graphic / Music / etc." ->
"Photo / Icon / etc." ...

... for new users, this would be a great new way to use computers well.  The
MS Office New Office Document system has been very useful and productivity
enhancing wherever I've done training.  I've been able to add their standard
document templates to the shared directory that Office looks in for
templates and they can do "New Document, Purchase Order" ... etc.