Re: First UI component needing replacement

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 03:57:22PM -0600, Dylan Griffiths wrote:
> Dominic Amann wrote:
> > I know it is an awkward key combo, but most pre-bash shells
> > used <esc>, <\> as the autocomplete sequence.  This could be
> > the default, and the user could change the key(s) in a preference
> > dialog.  To type literal keys that are awkward, such as <tab>,
> > could we not continue with the sh/vi tradition of <ctrl>-<v>
> > before the key-stroke. (Again allowing the user to change this
> > in a preference dialog).
>
> Of course, the only problem with this is that escape is the universal "I'm
> confused/scare/somewhere I don't want to be, please CANCEL and back me out"
> button.

Remember that to the shell or most terminals, <alt>-foo and <esc>,foo
are the same. The docs of slrn say "ESC S" lets you do some kind of
search, and Alt-S works just fine.

So the GUI shouldn't accept <esc>, <\> as autocomplete, but Alt-\
perhaps. I'd be a little shy of that sequence as the \ key moves
around from one keyboard to the next.

--