Re: File dialog

I really like the directory tree, too.  It's much more intuitive than
any other tree-browsing mechanism I've seen.  (And the recent
directories box is a great accelerator.)  Opening a taller window than
Dylan's mockup might be useful to help make slightly larger menu trees
more navigable and visible.

"New Directory" should definitely be "Create Directory"...what is
"New" going to do - create a new directory, or visit one that I
haven't yet?

Rename, Delete, and Create would presumably only needed for save, not
open, no?

The "View mode" pulldown menu should certainly be retained. I think
the default behavior there should be to reset your global preference
globally each time you change it, so that you aren't always fighting
the system.

With regard to scrolling, I like vertical better as well (and I
dragged a Chem major over to the screen and he agreed).  Maybe
horizontal scrolling might less convenient because it's harder for the
eye to follow multi-row text moving horizontally than multi-column
text moving vertical.

Must:  Multi-column display

Like:  The way ls does it: vertical scrolling, alphabetically all the
way through the first column, and then up to the top of the next.

Hate: When lists don't automatically become multi-column when they
have the space to.  ::grumblegmcgrumble::

Keep up the good work,

Chris Beland
MIT Athena User Interface Project