Re: (no subject)

jurgen.kobierczynski@leuven.be.sykes.com (2000-08-04 at 1346.16 +0200):
> I'm a kind of user that doesn't like to minimize, or maximize windows. If I
> want to see the content of a window while I'm working on a other window, I
> have to resize and to reposition the windows next to eachother. Well, what I
> thought was: Why not create a function that a user has the ability to toggle
> a window to opaque/transparant mode, with a button ? (like a sticky button),
> or maybe doubleclik right on the window frame.

Sounds like shading: the window keeps the title, and the rest
disappears (window content, sides and bottom bars).  Check your
windowmanager manual, most of them have it (Sawfish, E, FVWM...).  I
have the iconify button set under Sawfish so one mouse button
iconifies, other shades and the third provides the window menu.

You can also raise and lower windows. Again, check your windowmanager
docs, and you will learn how to config it so for example shift + alt
+ mb3 (mouse button 3, right for right handed people) lowers the
window (as I have it... plus more "dark magic" things ;] ).

> There are terminals that has this transparancy possibility, but this is only
> in the application itself. It's maybe better to integrate this functionality
> in the windowmanager, before all developers create their own method.

That transparency is a faked effect, they copy the desktop bg, not the
things they have below. BTW, the windowmanager handles window decors,
positions and sizes, but I doubt that content is in its tasks.

[...]

GSR