Re: Menus

Khimenko Victor <gnome-gui@khim.sch57.msk.ru> wrote:
> > I believe the term was "stunt programming: Programmers
> > think it's cool, but no-one else uses it."
>
> But why ? I'm pretty sure that this is since there are no easy way to spread
> your customization!

no, that's not it.

ask people that use computers, but don't have anything to do with them
otherwise. my girlfriend who uses a pc at work, my sister who wants to write
her study papers, a friend of mine who just wants to play games - people like
that.

I'd almost bet the main reply would be "what for?".

normal people DON'T WANT TO play around with the machine and spend an hour
or two finding a good configuration. they just want to use it and if there's
one item in the menubar they never use, so what?

> That is my points: themeable menus (in one theme there are will be one menu for
> all applications at the top of screen, in other theme -- at the top of window,
> for example) will be used more then 2% of users while new themes will be created
> by less amount of users (may be only few users) and (here is other point)
> it's far more easily to create new layout via "point-and-click" then via
> editing of source code (some sophisticated changes will require changes in
> source code, of course)...

I agree on this, it's a good idea. themes would help a lot.

> customization). Apart from scrollbars or buttons "look and feel" (this is
> handled by GTK+ themes anyway).

btw: anyone got a timeline for when themes will be included in the "regular"
gtk versions?

		-- Henry Spencer