Re: Menus

gelderk@natlab.research.philips.com wrote:
> May be. If so, there should be a novice/expert setting in the
> configuration, such that a novice can not screw up too much (side-step
> to another thread ``Meeting the needs of users'': this would fit into
> the novice-guide-around versus expert-can-do-all for applications;
> which is definitely a good idea).

as much as I like configurability, why fix what ain't broken? or in other
words: where is the actual advantage of customizable menus? I fail to see
how the user gains, except for having something to play around with.

also, concerning M$: they are on a heavy experiments trip with menus these
days. the "self-adjusting" menus are just another shot (a very stupid one,
I'd like to add) and the customizable as well. as usual, they use their
paying customers as beta-testers. as usual, the press will run this as the
innovation of the year, but I still fail to see the actual gain. especially
compared to the HUGE amount of necessary work if you want to make this a
gnome-standard.

		-- Henry Spencer