Re: before sleep [The Two Edged Sword] (fwd)

gelderk@natlab.research.philips.com wrote:
> I meant, that the article favours configurability; part of the
> foot-discussion was about its start-menu look-alike-ing. If that is
> configurable, any user who does not like the foot (or its placement),
> can replace it with what he/she _does_ like.

there have been two "foot menu discussions". one is about the current panel
that features a start-menu look-alikeness, only that what's called "start"
in wincrap and "k" in kde is a foot in gnome.

personally, this is the one thing about gnome that I  H-A-T-E. (sorry, more
emphasize isn't possible in ascii, but you got it. :) ).

the other is a foot-icon as the first menu item, before "file" (or whatever)
that contains application-wide items like "About..." (not really a help
item), "Preferences..." (not really related to files, editing, options or
whatever) or "Quit..." (doesn't belong under file, because you don't close a
file).

note: the comments in brackets are not to be understood as absolutisms, but
as what I consider short examples of reasons that have been mentioned in the
discussion. just to avoid yet another flame war.

		-- Henry Spencer