RE: i've asked the question; now i'll give my opinion

> lastly, maybe it's time for those of you arguing _for_ compatibility
> over good design to start stating exactly where you want to draw that
> line.

I don't think we'll be able to come up with a generalized statment of what
is and what isn't too radical for inclusion in the style guide. For example,
I think pie menus are probably too radical, but I honestly couldn't
generalize that. The best way to go forward in my opinion is just to start
looking at various issues and discussing them.

> for example, raster's antialiased fonts in enlightenment are quite
> revolutionary for x: it is not an easily implemented change

I think this is a bad example, because antialiased fonts are neither new nor
revolutionary; my Apple IIGS had them years ago and now MacOS, Windows, and
BeOS have them. Whether something is *technically* easy or difficult is of
no interest to me. If we come up with a design principle that is difficult
to implement yet gives usability benefits, I think we should implement it if
at all possible.

Wesley Felter - wesf@cs.utexas.edu
"So if you've got greatness in you would you do us all a favor and keep it
to yourself? Keep it, keep it to yourself!" --Harvey Danger