Re: property dialogs

On 1998-03-19 at 00:48:10, Dirk Luetjens wrote:
[instant apply, and Khoros' live entries]
> I don't like this behavoir in general, because:  you will never know
> if the action bound to this entry is rather time consuming or not.
> Consider a vector based drawing application and a property dialog to
> change the style of an object. Sure it will be a good feedback if the
> object changes its properties immediatly, but when the object gets
> larger and the object will be redrawn all the time when toggle through
> a list...

I can imagine it's bothersome, but then it simply isn't implemented
right..:)  If an author wants his program to do *slow* things, they
must really be interruptible.  Take this example: you are drawing a
really big vector image.  You pop up the dialog box to change the style
of the lines.  You change it, and it's *done*.  Even if not only the
redraw is slow, but also the recalculation, there should be no need to
force you to wait for the program.  It should do the calculation/redraw
in the background (maybe after a short delay, but this is a compromise
for the "slow" CPU's IMHO), and let you change it again before it's
finalized.

If it has been done this way, would you still hate it?

--
Janos - Don't worry, my address is real.  I'm just bored of spam.