Re: Err..To Desktop Or Not To Desktop?

Bowie Poag wrote:

>    So, you have the mailing list, and you have the ability to register
>    vote with the others. The Style Guide, the rest of us have almost
>    unanimously agreed, MUST BE DELIVERED TO THE HANDS OF THE PEOPLE
>    IN A FULLY-FORMED STATE.

But we're NOT The People.  We're the programmers.  We should be
closer to the Style Guide than they are.

> B) If we have everyone involved at *every* step, the process of both
>    writing it, and finalizing it, will be so distorted and incoherent
>    that it wouldnt even be worth enforcing.

I don't think this is what we are asking for.  Would it be so
destructive to release a simple outline of the Style guide so
far?  Major headers, so we can see what your priorities are?  We
don't necessarily want to quibble on minor points.  We just want
to see the overall scope, and comment on that at this point.

What disturbs me is the total news blackout, the total lack of
_any_ information about the impending Style guide.  Isn't there
any room for compromise on this?  Is it all or nothing?  Couldn't
you post some of it, the major parts, or even just the headers,
and then ignore us while we grumble about it amongst ourselves?

John

P.S.--And could you please tone down the caustic sarcasm?  You're
in a high profile position right now, and it can only damage the
process when you flame like that.  It only serves to make people
more wary of the content you'll put into the Guide, when they
read the content you put into your posts.