Re: To answer your question about the upcoming Style-Guide...

-----Original Message-----
From: George <jirka@5z.com>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Monday, July 27, 1998 2:04 AM
Subject: Re: To answer your question about the upcoming Style-Guide...

>On Sat, Jul 25, 1998 at 10:41:14AM +0200, Tom Vogt wrote:
>> you are right. forget my former idea, instead replace it with this one:
>>
>> the lsm has a line of "keywords" used to categorize apps. how about
picking
>> up the very same concept for automatic installation according to user
>> preferences?
>
>ok ... that would be ok ... what needs to be done is a small script that
>can run during make install or package installation ...
>
>again .. a problem is install is done as root ... and root should not
really
>have preferences ...

Root always has preferences...there's always a default shell(sh or csh), for
instance.
Isn't the default always the root preference?

And why do all installs need to be root installs?  They SHOULD be, but back
on my netcom account I compiled screen for myself and it ran just fine :-)

>again ... most likely a feature that should be in the menu editor ..
perhaps
>stating the files and showing their mtime

One possible extension to the Gnomeprint could be scripts that add menu
items with specific menuspaces.  For example, the user could add a
"freshmeat" menu to his or her gnomeprint that'd list new apps on freshmeat,
or a "Slashdot" menu that listed Slashdot headings.

This is most probably doable already, just not done yet :-)