Re: To answer your question about the upcoming Style-Guide...

sun <as387@yfn.ysu.edu> wrote:
> > >the windoze bar as well as the gnome panel take a fixed amount of screen
> > >real estate anyway, so why not put that to good use?
> > >the afterstep wharf I use here uses the exact same amount of screen space
> > as
> > >the gnome panel, but it puts it to a much better use.
>
> this i don't understand. if the windows bar and the gnome panel both
> take a fixed amount of screen real estate, and the gnome panel and
> afterstep wharf both use the same amount of screen space, what needs to
> be fixed where? the way i see it you have the option to run the same
> types of stuff in all 3 "bars". how is one more/less useful than
> another?

the argument was that additional folders/menus waste screen real estate. my
counter-argument was that they don't, because the panel already takes up so
much screen and putting something else on it doesn't waste any more.

they do take up PANEL real estate, however. but I still - and after having
done that experiment with gnome-newbies even more than before - believe that
we HAVE to show the new gnome user that it's possible or he will never even
try to reconfigure.

--
The universe does not have laws -- it has habits, and habits can be broken.