Re: Reflections on Gnome from longtime GUI User..

> gpanel- Looks pretty good.
> 	What's this thing over on the right hand side?  Some sort of biff?
> It's a little big.. Maybe you could fit four of those things in neatly on
> the right hand side. They could be in a grid or something.  That would be
> cool. BTW, these things need tool tips!

tooltips are in the works :) ... it's just that there are more things
needing to be done ...

> 	The sliding animation is totally gratuitous and gets very dull and
> aggravating about the second or third time I see it.  At least have it
> turned off by default.  I like How KDE does it when the panel is minimized
> and they just have those two little icons in the corner that let you
> manage everything.  BTW where is the virtual desktop manager?

the moving is completely different in the new versions (just wait for 0.13:)

> 	The clock is cool. Maybe you might want to make it have some sort
> of theme in the future.  Not super neccessary though.

the framework for themes is almost there

> 	The "Start" menu should probably have a better icon than just a
> foot?  I know it's the gnome motif but....Ahh. It's sooo prehistoric.  The
> menu works well, I like the add folders to the toolbar!  I like how
> windows go under the panel when dragged towards it, maybe the window
> manager should limit the dragging so they can't even get that far...

this doewsn't happen in the new version ... the raise on being obscured
just didn't want to work with screen savers ...(they would fight:)

> Genius - Nice!
> 	Looks pretty good.  One thing though.  Try to say something like
> "bad equation" instead of "Parse Error". Also it would be nice if you made
> the results wrap as notepad and emacs do.  Also I think that the options
> should be in a separate dialog or at least move the whole thing into a
> tabbed dialog box with options being on one page and the calculator on the
> other.  I feel that unless there is some sort of real time feedback you
> don't need to see both the options and the calculator at the same time and
> it just takes up valuable screen real estate.

well I think someone said they were gonna rewrite the gui for genius since
I didn't give the gui too much time :) .... I worked on the engine
more ... (and when I again start hacking on the calculator, I have
other things to finish:
	redo syntax of function declarations,
	complex numbers,
	matrix support,
	more programming support (read program files, stuff like that),
	make the whole thing talk corba,
	make the engine interface better (it sucks now),
	add a lot of scientific functions
as you see I don't have messing with the gui high up on my plan ... :)

it's about 5000 lines (the engine) .... by the time all this is done, I guess
I'll be up to 8-10 :)

plus tehre are still outstanding memory leaks .. which should be easy to
fix, but it will take time ... (they are not serius at all they are leaks
of a few bytes, but they could add up:)

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
While some may have the year 2000  | $ emacs
problem, my 64-bit alpha's got the | bash: emacs: command not found
year 292471208677 problem          | YES!!