MWM hints in icewm Was: Re: GNOME wm hints proposal

At 11:10 PM 2/16/98 +0100, Marko Macek wrote:

>> >Functions are used for disabling some buttons on the titlebar
>> >(button is shown, but is disabled) and for disabling
>> >functions in the menu. Icewm does not correctly implement
>> >this yet.
>>
>> It does now. :) Or at least the MWM_FUNC parts for buttons and the system
>> menu.
>
>Does it display button as gray? I believe that was the only thing
>missing.
>(menu items were disabled before too).

Sort of. it requires additional pixmaps in the theme/*/ directory. ie, a
grayed pixmap. Although, it would be (with a few changes) possible to use a
stippled mask on the buttons. But I like my buttons to be a smooth grey
when inactive, so I went with pixmaps. Which do you think fits more in with
the philosophy of icewm? Should users be able to specify a different image
for inactive buttons or should the wm set policy and just grey them out?

>Still missing is inputMode. For modal dialogs and such.

I do not like this, so I haven't done it yet. :D  Besides, that would
require a Real Change to the inherent functionality of the wm, and I don't
like to make big changes to a program when the author does not know about
it. It can be bad. I was integrating Michael Hipp's mpg123 app into
something GNOMEish, and I mailed him to let him know. Turns out, he
disdains the GPL, and mpg123 license is not "free enough." So I had to
back-burner the project until I can look at amp. I would be happy to give
this a shot now, if you have some ideas on how it should be done. And
thanks for making icewm GPL. :)

BTW, all of my changes (and all of my coding) were made with xfte, so
thanks twice.

>Can you send me the patches?

Uh, sure. :) I warn you, they are kind of messy. I took some liberties with
your code, since it was for my own personal use. In a day or two I can have
a nice patch against the 0.8.11 source though.

M.Watson redline@pdq.net