Re: Proposal for File-Selection Dialog

>There's a couple ways of dealing with this: make the list strictly
>one-column.  Macs do this.  It's not unreasonable, but it makes navigating a
>large directory difficult.  Really, there shouldn't be any large
>directories, but that's not an option open to us.
>You can sort horizontally.  This is annoying.  Or you can do like Windows
>and scroll horizontally.  I think they made the right choice.

Or you can fix number of columns to avaliable space (two, three...), order
horizontally and scroll vertically, like reading.

-------------^
|001 012 043 I
|080 120 579 I  <- 3 fixed columns, 3 lines visible, vertical scroll
|Aas Ahg cjh I
-------------V
 eij hoi mie
 opo rew wae    <- non visible, ready to enter dialog when scrolled
 zzj

If you want 579, you read first column 001, 080, Aas... hey! 080 -> Aas, so
or it is in between or does no exist (like searching in a dictionary,
looking sheet corners), so you read 080, 120, 579, found!

For japanese, maybe the Windows way is logical and nice, for me not, I do
not read columns top -> bottom -> top. I think top -> bottom with stop when
near, and then go left -> right to exact match is nicer, and faster.

There are more ways than just two. Now three ways. Any more? Sure.

GSR