Re: Proposal, and about icons in the path

Wesley Felter <wesf@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> If the filesystem layout is too confusing, why not simply change it?

but is it? my experience says it's not. it's quite consistent and logical,
at least as far as any regular user is concerned (/var/lib and /usr/lib
aren't always handled the same by all programs, but users don't usually get
involved in that).

> Thus there are two general choices as I see them: you can hide the
> filesystem, which does not actually reduce its complexity, or you can make
> the filesystem simple enough that the user can manipulate it directly
> without confusion or danger.

your argument was that it is confusing. so the logical choice should be to
make it not so. the unix way is consistent and logical - two items that are
usually quite opposed to confusion. all you need to do is educate the user
to the purpose of the subdirectories. and that's something even grandma's
should be able to learn, especially if reduced to those parts that they will
really use.

		-- Henry Spencer