Re: Proposal, and about icons in the path

>a few items:
>
>1. i have a really big bone to pick with the dual-paned approach to
>file management (tests have shown it to be quite counterintuitive; >see
apple's file manager for a better approach to trees) but since >you can
turn that off i don't have too much to complain about there. > :)

I agree with you: I don't like the tree either.  It's handy once in a
while.

>2. the menu button is a good idea but must have a more intuitive >icon.
i suggest using the mini-gnome-foot by default (since >everywhere we see
it, it already means "click here for a menu!") but >should be
user-configurable. if the gnome menu (or application menu >or whatever)
makes it to the menu bar by default, it should use the >same icon for
consistency.

Well, I'd agree, but two things: (1) the gnome-foot is for app-wide menu
options, while the folder menu as I conceive it applies to the whole
folder when no item is selected, or to the current selection.  So, there
a little different.  (2) I propose we embed the same interface into gmc,
and if that happened, there would be two gnome feet in the same area.
Best to avoid that.  See my mockups of gmc at
http://www.olywa.net/opiskin/gnomeui/gmcmockups.html if you'd like to
see what I've in mind.

>3. i agree the up-arrow is a necessity, but its purpose should be >made
more clear. the icon you have there now is non-intuitive.

I've tried to come up with something better, and it's not easy.  There
is precedent for this kind of icon already: gmc uses it in addition to
the left- and right-arrow history buttons.  I think that, since the
interface will be dealt with frequently, the user will treat it as one
whole unit, and the semantics of the individual icons may be less
important than their positions.

>4. i look forward to reading your reasons for using icons in the
>pathname. i disagree but will reserve argument until after i've read
>your proposition.

The short version is: the unix file hierarchy is great for sysadmins,
not so great for my grandma.  I want to hide the system's file tree
(though not prevent the gui user from accessing it).  I think we should
build a new hierarchy in each user's home directory.  When my grandma
wants to read the PPP HOWTO, instead of winding her way to
/usr/doc/HOWTO/other-formats/html/, I want her to be able to open a
documentation folder straight of the desktop, perhaps under
[desktop]/reference/HOWTOs.  In this respect, I hope we emulate OS/2's
WPS.

Granted, the user should be able to choose.  To the gurus, obscuring the
real file hierarchy is just an annoyance.  They should be able to turn
it off.

Justin