Re: Activate Scroll Key

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Tom Vogt wrote:

> Tim Moore <tmoore@tembel.org> wrote:
> > So mouse-2 click is paste and mouse-2 drag is scroll? These two functions
> > have absolutely nothing to do with each other! Putting them on the same
> > mouse button is a recipe for confusion, IMO.
>
> agree, but can we find a better solution?
>
> I strongly disagree with taking away the middle-button-paste function. I
> would hate you forever, needing it quite often in my daily work.

Ouch. OK, better solution...

Well the typical solution to "I like it this way but he likes it that way"
problems is to make it configurable. The middle button is supposed to be
optional anyways, so we can make it a user shortcut button.

Even better, we could replace the traditional "mouse-1, mouse-2, ...,
mouse-n" notation with a set of logical mouse buttons such as "Primary
Button", "Contextual Menu Button" (for Win95-style right-click menu
popups), "Menubar Button" (for GIMP/NEXTSTEP-style right-click menu
popups), "Scroll [Up|Down|Left|Right] Button" (for IntelliMouse support),
"Scroll Mode Button" (for GIMP-style drag-scrolling), and of course "Paste
Button". Many others are possible. Apps are expected to respond to as many
of these events as makes sense (GTK+ could probably handle most of them
automatically).

The fun part is that you get to map these to your physical mouse buttons
any way you want. And there could even be saved "sets" which can be chosen
from and imported/exported. So there would be standard sets for two button
mice, three button mice (with middle-button scrolling), UNIX veteran three
button mice (with middle-button pasting :-) ), IntelliMice, etc. (and
left-handed versions of each!)

Better?

Tim