Re: What I'm doing

-----Original Message-----
From: John R Sheets <dusk@smsi-roman.com>
To: Dan Effugas Kaminsky <effugas@best.com>
Cc: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Thursday, August 13, 1998 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: What I'm doing

>Furthermore, I don't think GNOME should be 100% OS-independent.
>At least for the foreseeable future.

GNOME should be 100% Unix, for now.
GNOME Style Guides, however, should not be.

My way of looking at it is that Windows should not be able to call itself
100% Gnome Compliant if it can't manage to reduce its reboot need.

>Any movement of GNOME
>outside the *NIX realm will involve massive, significant
>porting.  What exactly are you thinking about?
>GNOME-for-Windows?  I doubt if that'll ever happen.

There's a line between code and design.  I have no problem with GnomeWin
ever existing, but if it does, I'll be damned if a system that reboots all
the time gets to call itself truly GNOME compliant.

>IMHO, This is a non-issue.

It's not really THAT much of an issue, but it's something for us to say to
our users.  "See the design guide?  If it's GNOME, you probably won't need
to reboot."