Re: Tab Order

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Goehring <scott@poverty.bloomington.in.us>
To: Dan "Effugas" Kaminsky <effugas@best.com>
Cc: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Tuesday, August 11, 1998 11:04 AM
Subject: Re: Tab Order

>"Dan" == Dan \"Effugas\" Kaminsky <Dan> writes:
>
>Dan> OK, in tune with my "Lets work on the things that piss people off
>Dan> first" manifesto...
>
>Dan> I wanna GC1 good tab order.  Straight down, or L->R->D, or in a
>Dan> user configurable language order, I don't care.  It just has to
>Dan> be consistent.
>
>Dan> Oh yes--shift-tab ought to be back-order.
>
>Can you turn this into something probative?  Requiring that every
>application "have a tab order" serves no purpose.  You're going to
>have to differentiate acceptable and unacceptable tab orders in some
>way that can be understood by users of the style guide.

Tab orders modify the present entry field...say you have two columns and
five rows of buttons, text entry boxes, and checkboxes.  Good might be A1,
A2, A3, A4, A5, B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, or A1, B1, A2, B2, A3, B3, etc., but A1,
B4, A5, A2, B3, etc. IS NOT GOOD AND IS A BUG.

>(And what about applications, such as a word processor or spreadsheet,
>in which tab has a different meaning?)

This is the problem with tab in general...what if you want to enter a
literal tab?

But usually these apps have field/button/checkbox modes.