RE: GNOMEPrint, Icons, and shades of InSight..

>On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Soren Harward wrote:
>> Well, if someone added vector drawing support to The GIMP -- or wrote an
>> equally good vector program for linux (I don't know of any and xfig just
>> doesn't cut it) then I'd say this is a very good diea.
>
>I haven't seen xfig, but I agree: I haven't seen very many vector drawing
>applications for X (at least no non-commercial ones).

Xfig isn't such a bad program, but I don't know nobody who tells he likes.
Though I think that if it were done with Gtk it could be even pretty. But
this can be a very difficult task.

>Someone said before that we might want to create a new file format: NO!
>Aargh, in the name of good software design everywhere: stop coming up with
>new file formats!  For this kind of thing, EPS (encapsulated postscript)
>and derivatives of it would work well as I understand it.
>
>It seems to me that adding Photoshop-like vector drawing to GIMP, while
>not trivial, wouldn't be terribly difficult; supporting EPS (or a
>derivative thereof) might be a natural extension to such a feature.

I don't know about adding vector drawing to GIMP. It would be really pretty
if it could work as Corel Xara! or Ulead Photoimpact. But I think this isn't
neccesary. Haven't you seen the GYVE (Gnu Yello Vector Editor)? I can't
remember the URL now, but there was a link in the GIMP web page. They were
working in a vector based drawing program, similar in spirit to the GIMP,
and they wanted both programs colaborating.

>william r. tipton

- yiyus

PS: What am I doing talking about GYVE in the gnome-gui list?