Re: GNOMEPrint, Icons, and shades of InSight..

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Soren Harward wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, JR Tipton wrote:
>
> >Has anyone thought about vector graphics?  They only take up space for
> >being more complex, not for being larger.
> >
> >If you're not familiar with vector-based graphics, check out Adobe
> >Illustrator or Macromedia's Freehand.  I used to work in this medium a lot
> >and found it to be great; things that when done in bitmap file formats
> >(i.e. XPM or PNG) are literally hundreds of megabytes can be around 100k
> >when done with vector graphics and are dependably resizable to arbitrary
> >sizes.
>
> Well, if someone added vector drawing support to The GIMP -- or wrote an
> equally good vector program for linux (I don't know of any and xfig just
> doesn't cut it) then I'd say this is a very good diea.

There is currently the Display Ghostscript project, which actually is in
the CVS repository.  Their goal is to produce a library for integrating
Postscript into applications.  I am not sure exactly what their status is
as far as functionality goes.

Less useful for the topic on hand, but in response to the "good vector
program", a group of Japanese GNU people is working on a project called
GYVE (GNU Yellow Vector Editor) which has its sights set on Corel Draw
level functionality.  I think there's a link to them from GNU's Software
page, if not, "GYVE" is certainly a rare enough word to use in a search
engine.