Re: RSG, draft three

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Tom Vogt wrote:
[ Much snipped ]
> > > Exceptions will of course be allowed if the application or other circumstances
> > > require.
> >
> > No exceptions. Your compliance levels should be flexible enough to
> > encompass everything from Barney The Dinosaur's Fun Math 1-2-3 to software
> > that controls nuclear reactors. It is the fault of the guide, not the
> > fault of the coder.
>
> the very good example of  kai's power tools was mentioned. just because
> someone found a better way to do his specific things doesn't mean he's
> wrong, does it?

I have a suggestion, although I am merely rephrasing and elaborating on
stuff that John Sheets said a while back.  We currently have
GNOME-compliant applications being those who meet all points in both
C1 and C2.  We should have an official "GNOME-friendly" level, for
applications meeting just C1 level.

C1 level would be primarily things like bad behavior, it should be easy
for a program to meet GNOME-friendly levels.  The GNOME-friendly label
would tell the user that the program will not break their GNOME system.  A
very stylized system like Kai would be able to conform to the
GNOME-friendly specification rather easily.

The look and feel requirements would mostly be under C2.  All official
GNOME applications should meet this level.  An GNOME-compliant label would
tell the user that this program works like a GNOME program, and they will
know exactly what to expect about user interface, learning curve, etc.

To do this might be a bit of shuffling of stuff between their current C1
and C2 settings, but I think this would be a good way of being inclusive
without hacking together exceptions when something nifty comes along that
we haven't thought of.

> > > 3.1  GENERAL LAYOUT
> > > -------------------
> > > C2 - Dialog and other buttons in windows other than the main window should
> > > tend to be found at the bottom. for example, a dialog with only a single
> > > button to close the window should have that button at the very bottom.
> >
> > Left justified? Right justified? Centered? Where is it?
>
> good point. any takers? I'll happily write  down anything that seems to find
> general agreement.

Since the button to close the window should be the rightmost button, I
would say the button should be at the bottom right.

The current RSG has it as "expanded to fill the whole width of the
window".  I think that oversized buttons like this look cartoony and
unprofessional.

-Gleef