RE: A letter for Frederico, and others..

I said..

> > Great! See? This is what we needed. Instead of two lines of competition,
> > two TRULY parallel efforts, both aimed at the same head for processing..
> > Excellent execellent excellent!

And Wes said..
> This makes no sense to me, Bowie. While you were sleeping off your
> Mountain Dew hangover, Tom produced a straw man style guide for people
> on this list to comment on, and you blasted him for it. Now Frederico,
> apparently because the style guide you are maintaining is nothing more
> than a skeleton, has come up with his own, and you praise him! I admit
> that I can find no logic in your behavior.

I had been begging Federico/Miguel for a good week or so to DO *SOMETHING*
about the situation on the mailing list here -- It got so bad that private
parties were beginning to step up to the plate, and offer solutions (i.e.
give Tom's project its own mailing list, its own space, etc)..

The UISG is an open, but controlled project -- Major revisions to the
overall project are released on a weekly basis, usually every Saturday.
Conference, Revision, Conference, Revision, Conference, Revision, until we
have a pure document. The RGSG is going about the same task in a different
fashion; The differences here have been discussed at length.

I've said from the beginning, and I'll continue to say, that *competetive*
development of two different projects CANNOT be productive, if carried out
on the same mailing list, concurrent, cooperative development, yes.. But
thats not what we had here. Without authority, you have zero. I cant tell
you how glad I am that things are different now--I was grinning like an
idiot all the way to work today.

I'm *glad* Federico stepped in finally, and waived me off the task of
being the overall project manager for the Gnome Style Guide, ONTOP OF the
responsibility for -producing- one. That is really too much for any one
person. Im finally free to work on the damn style guide, NOT play traffic
cop for 300 people, getting them all in sync. I would have, eventually,
but the cost in time and patience would have been enourmous.

So, as it exists right now, The Great GNOME UI Civil War of 1998 is over,
and the generals have laid down their arms. Concurrently development
between the RSG and UISG can continue forward, since we're both
now funneling to the same target, instead of trying to out-do, out-yell,
and out-punch eachother bloody.

It is a good day, today.
Bowie