Re: PROPOSAL: UISG Menu Line Standardization

yiyus wrote:

> 1- Do we really need a war to decide how to call the Gnome levels? Please,
> don't discuss so much about that things, I  don't see where is the proble
> with that.

Well, obviously we don't need a war.  But I do think we should be
very careful about how we define the compliancy levels.  Think
about it this way.  The style guide is for the developers.  The
users will never really need to look at it (aside from
curiosity), and most never will.  However, the compliancy rating
is something they will see everytime they open up the About box,
or look it up in the GNOME software map, etc.  It is how users
should measure a GNOME app (i.e. instant yardstick--errrr,
meterstick).

However, if these compliancy levels are not well-designed and
intuitive, they will be largely ignored by users, who don't tend
to like things they don't understand.  If they don't care about
compliancy levels, then they won't try to get apps that are more
compliant, which will remove the demand for developers to comply
to them.  If the users don't care about the compliancy levels,
neither will the developers.

Now, I'm exaggerating a little here to make my point.  But the
bottom line is, the more sense the compliancy levels make, the
more they will be used.

Sorry for the long response.  I just feel this is very important.

John