Re: RGSG - contents of Program menu

Dan Effugas Kaminsky wrote:

> >  The following menus should
> >either describe further objects (e.g. a layout program that
> >handles text document-editing differently than image-editing,
> >leading to both "Document" and "Image" menus), or other large
> >categories of functionality (e.g. "Format", "View", even "Print"
> >if the print functionality is very advanced & complex).  IBM's
> >research is important, but I don't think we should base our menu
> >structure solely on frequency of use.
>
> So we should have a REALLY WIDE menu bar with *TWO* menus, and to prevent
> things from getting too long we should folderize by category.

Where on earth did you get that?

Off the top of my head, for an imaginary desktop publishing app:

<foot> Document Image View Format Print Help

Document->Open
Document->Close
Document->Print
Document->Properties
etc.

Image->Open
Image->Close
Image->Scale
Image->Properties
etc.

View->Text Only
View->Outline
View->WYSIWYG
etc.

Format->Tabs...
Format->Paragraphs...
Format->Margins...
etc.

Print->Page Layout...
Print->Print Settings...
Print->Print Document...
Print->Print Summary...
etc.

Granted that this is just a quick mockup, and none of the actual
menu choices should be worth disputing, THIS is the concept that
I am trying to express.

John